Skip to main content

Post Dual Boot Setup - Kali on Mac

So, one of the setups that I run with is a dual-boot enabled MacBook Air with Kali Linux. Why, you may ask... Well no one really expects a Mac to be running anything other than OSX. So it catches people off guard if they really pay attention to what I'm doing. So far, I've come across only a few issues (like I can't get the internal Wi-Fi card to work, but I'm usually using an Alfa anyways). One such issue was that, upon running updates on the Kali side, grub pushed an update. Normally that's not an issue. However, if your setup is similar to mine, where rEFInd is being used from the OSX side....Well let's just say that grub overwrote rEFInd and now only shows the Kali startup.

Now, I didn't really document how I got everything back to 'normal' (sorry, I'm out of luck now too if that happens again). But the basic steps were to bypass the grub boot, which allowed me to boot into the OSX partition, and re-install rEFInd. The question is, how do you avoid that in the first place? And I *think* I have the answer (I'll know for sure if updates kill my OSX partition again in the future).

Simply put, I *think* that by just putting grub updates on hold might prevent grub from overwriting rEFInd, and therefore allowing you to update both Kali and OSX without issues. How is this done? Well here's what I did:


  • Boot to Kali Linux
  • Log in and open a terminal
  • Enter the following to get a list of the grub packages that could be updated
    • dpkg --get-selections | grep grub
      • I had the following:
        • grub-common
        • grub-efi-amd64
        • grub-efi-amd64-bin
        • grub2-common
  • Next, lets put them on hold with the following:
    • apt-mark hold grub-common grub-efi-amd64 grub-efi-amd64-bin grub2-common
With any luck, we shouldn't have any future issues of grub overwriting rEFInd and breaking the overall setup.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PowerShell Scripting: Low Disk Space Notification

Update 20150812 You'll see in the below comments that I left a global variable that was not required in the original script. The below post has been updated with that variable removed. Original Post So, I came across a need to have a script that checks the free space of a hard drive, calculates the percentage and send an e-mail notification of the free space is less than 10%. I figured that this could be scripted with PowerShell and run as a scheduled task in Windows. One thing I did find out is that I needed to create a service account in Active Directory with Server Admin permissions. Once you have that account in place simply copy the script below and name it "WhatYouWant.ps1" and set your Windows task accordingly. Disclaimer: I did reach out for assistance with creating this script on StackOverflow. My original script was writing the output to a text file, and copying the contents of that text file into the e-mail notification. This was not acceptable for the long...

Using Python for GPG/PGP File Encryption - Part 1

So, this will be the start of a series that will build a python script for GPG/PGP file encryption. In this post, we'll look at installing gnupg for python and using python to setup the keystore, create a private key, exporting the associated public key, and importing a public key. Now everything done here can be done with simple gnupg commands, but learning how to do this with python will help in understanding the script we'll be building to complete file encryption. I will be covering non-python gnupg commands in a future post. Additionally, the folks at the python-gnupg site over at pythonhosted.org have done a really great job at documenting everything (link to their site at the bottom). The stuff I'll be going over will be more of a start-to-finish for anyone that may get lost in the muck of doing stuff with python. Full Disclosure #1: Any key identifier throughout the series of posts is FICTITIOUS and DOES NOT represent any real key, either associated with myself or...

Getting Samsung Dex Configured to Work with Azure DevOps Repos

Recently, I upgraded my phone to the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+... I'm a big fan of big phones (a perk to being a big guy). I've always been intrigued with the idea of using one device for everything. Well, with the Samsung Dex application that comes built into these next gen phones, it might be possible...?  As a guy that spends a lot of time working on ARM Templates and PowerShell scripts for Azure management, I was curious to see if I could get my phone, using Dex, connected to my Azure DevOps environment and start working with repos.... Well, to my surprise, I was able to, and without much pain. So, in this post, I'll run through how I got my Dex environment setup and working with Azure DevOps Repos. Getting Started With Samsung Dex open, go to the Google Play store and install Termux ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.termux&hl=en_US ) Once that's installed, open it! Next, we need to gift Termux with permissions to a...